This blog is going to have surfing, snowboarding, tech stuff and maybe some 'meaning of life' stuff if I'm feeling particularly stoked.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Portland, Oregon

Outbound:
Route 44: 6:48 Wallingford to Montlake Freeway Station
Route 242: 7:13 Montlake to Overlake

Reading: Writing
Listening: Athlete - Tourist


We spent a great weekend in Portland, probably the last city break we will have as a two-person family, so we didn't hold back on the eating, drinking and general adult-oriented activities. We stayed in Lucia, a nice hotel right in the heart of the city. It was a good omen when there was a picture of Jerry Seinfield on the wall outside our room. It was part of an exhibition by David Hume Kennerly and there were some brilliant images.

Portland is a pretty laidback city, a lot like Seattle except maybe with the softer edges of a smaller city. I'll not bore you with the details but the gourmet highlights were Bijou for breakfast, Elephants Deli for lunch and Saucebox for dinner.

There is a great Saturday Market in the Old Town District and I invested in a balance board from Eastside Longboards . I really need to work on my balance after my sailing accident in Oz left all the little balancing tendons around my ankke shredded to pieces, also it means I can have a little board time every day, even if the waves are 150 miles away. Check out these balance board tricks!

b.